Imbolc plans
David Dalton
2013-02-01 03:35:34 UTC
Anybody have any plans for Imbolc that you'd like to share?
http://www.nfld.com/~dalton/nf.html Newfoundland&Labrador Travel & Music
"Here I go again...back into the flame" (Sarah McLachlan)
Giovanna Stefani
2013-02-01 18:08:25 UTC
Post by David Dalton
Anybody have any plans for Imbolc that you'd like to share?
No, none for Candlemas either.
--
Giovanna

daughtersofdea.org.uk
David Dalton
2013-02-02 05:38:40 UTC
Post by Giovanna Stefani
Post by David Dalton
Anybody have any plans for Imbolc that you'd like to share?
No, none for Candlemas either.
I lit my three candles in front of the fireplace in
my bedroom, and played an old cassette tape
recording of Bridgett's Reel by Emile Benoit,
played by Emile Benoit and Kelly Russell live
at Bridgett's Pub (which is now The Peter Easton
Pub). The reel is named after the pub but I
still associate it some with Brighid. Also
I think Brighid is the same as Sola the sun
but I am not sure so I won't rename Sola
Brighid.
David Dalton
2013-02-02 06:10:00 UTC
I checked http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/EarthSeasons.php
and did some calculations and the halfway mark
between winter solstice and spring equinox is
Feb. 3 2307 UT, 7:37 p.m. NST, 3:07 p.m. PST.
which will be a bit more than 9 hours after
last quarter, so the beginning of waning crescent.
Madame Monpetit
2013-02-03 02:33:32 UTC
Dear David,

I am new to the world of neo-paganism and I must say that I do like
the solitary way
in which you recently celebrated Imbolc. I consider myself to be a
solitary practitioner
of Germanic/Celtic neo-paganism, although I do not self-identify as a
Wiccan.

I was wondering if I could ask you for a huge favour...could you
please briefly recommend
how I could go about observing Ostara, Beltane, Midsummer, Lughnasadh,
Mabon,
Samhain and Yule respectively, in a solitary manner?. I plan to do
exactly the same
thing as you next Imbolc: "I lit my three candles in front of the
fireplace in my bedroom".
Any suggestions for what I could do for the other sabats on the Wheel
of the Year?.

I live in a small apartment with no balcony in a large city, so I do
not have access to
a garden, ect.

Any suggestions for each sabbat would be greatly appreciated. I am
looking for simple
and subtle things, but which reflect the spirit of each sabbat, like
your three candles do
for the Triple Goddess.

Thank You!

Madame Monpetit
David Dalton
2013-02-03 08:33:16 UTC
In article
Post by Madame Monpetit
[...]
I'll have to think about it some, and will probably
post a reply with some suggestions from me and
some pointers to other resources, such as
Brendan Myers's Solitary Druidism FAQ, tomorrow
night. Also you might get some help from the people on
alt.spirituality.druid and
alt.religion.wicca.moderated .
David Dalton
2013-02-04 04:53:59 UTC
In article
Post by Madame Monpetit
Dear David,
I am new to the world of neo-paganism and I must say that I do like
the solitary way
in which you recently celebrated Imbolc. I consider myself to be a
solitary practitioner
of Germanic/Celtic neo-paganism, although I do not self-identify as a
Wiccan.
I am not a Wiccan either.
Post by Madame Monpetit
[...]
Well, I didn't mean a triple Brigid by the three
candles. One candle represents Sola or Sun,
one represents Cosma or Universe, and one,
shaped like a ship, which I call my Ship of Fools
candle, has a symbol of the moon on the prow and
a symbol of the earth on the stern, so the candle
represents the earth moon system. However in
September 1994 before I had this Ship of Fools
candle I had a double candlestick representing
the earth and moon, and another candle representing
the sun, so the triple goddess of Earth, Moon and Sun.
But you should feel free to let your three candles
represent the triple goddess Brigid if you like.

The ancient celts generally celebrated the
cross-quarter days (or the eves of them)
and not the equinoxes or solstices. So
personally I consider the cross-quarter days
to be more important than the equinoxes and
solstices but I do celebrate all eight.

For the cross-quarter days (Samhain, Imbolc,
Beltane, and Lughnasadh) generally fires are
always appropriate, so a fire in a fireplace
if you have one, or else I guess candles,
though I guess it would be a lot easier to
leap over a candle than a campfire. I just
lit candles the other night but this evening
(which was the halfway mark between winter
solstice and spring equinox) my sister lit and
I tended a fire in the living room fireplace.
Fire is an attribute of Brigid, the celtic
goddess of smithing, poetry, and midwifery/healing,
who is associated with Imbolc. So some form
of fire, and ideally some poetry or poetic songs,
are appropriate for Imbolc.

I generally light my candles representing earth
and moon and sun and universe for all eight
of the sabbats. Also I try to find appropriate
music for each sabbat. Also I try to observe
the positions of the sun at noon and sunset
(and rarely sunrise unless I've been up all
night) for each sabbat.

For Samhain when I am alone I would play recorded
music by dead musicians, and think of an honour
those who have gone beyond. If I was a musician
I would play music by dead musicians. Also
Samhain is viewed as the celtic new year, and
was a time of feasting. Many of the customs
associated with Hallowe'en are also appropriate,
such as masks and jack o'lanterns. Samhain is
considered the most important sabbat.

For Yule you might want to make a Yule log and
burn it in your fireplace if you have one. When
I was a chid in a Christian school I made a
decorated half log triple candlestick which would
be appropriate if you don't have a fireplace. And
you could decorate a Yule tree. It is also a
time for new beginnings so you can make wishes
of things you want to see birthed in the coming year.
Those on alt.religion.asatru might have more suggestions.

For Imbolc I recommend a fire or candles, and I guess
you could have three candles to represent the triple
goddess Brigid. And again poetry and music should
be featured. And in Michele Morgan's Simple Wicca
she says it is a time to cast off outworn things
of the past year to make room for the new (so maybe
give away or recycle some old clothes and get some new).
She also says it is a time for spring cleaning.

For Ostara celebrate the balance of the seasons,
paint some eggs, have some fresh spring flowers,
and bless the seeds for your garden (or for
houseplants since you have no garden). Celebrate
the arrival of spring (though it might still be
snowy then here in Newfoundland, even though
we are south of Ireland).

For Beltane, considered second most important after
Samhain, again have a fire if possible (a campfire
or in a fireplace) or have some candles. Leap over
the fire to purify yourself. Wear bright colours.
Celebrate fertility and passion, ideally through
sex with a partner but failing that it is OK to
masturbate. If you have some friends it would be
a good idea to do a Maypole with ribbons, and to
have the campfire.

For Midsummer, Sun is at a peak and about to begin
a decline. Again a ritual bonfire or fireplace fire
or just candles are appropriate. Morgan says
this is when the realm of faerie is most astir,
so it is a good time to try and communicate with
the fairies (ideally on an outdoor walk in a park)
and perhaps leave a gift of food out for them.

For Lughnasadh I generally celebrate with celtic
music since the local folk festival is near then.
But also give thanks for the early harvest and
check out local farmers' markets.

For Mabon again celebrate the balance of the seasons,
and the second harvest, maybe with a potluck feast
with friends. Also try completing tasks left
unfinished before the cold comes, and do harvest
related preparations for winter, like making jam.

But generally there is always an element of improvisation.

Also even if you are not Wiccan you would probably
be welcome at a Wiccan sabbat ritual. I used to
participate in Newfoundland Pagan Society potlucks
and rituals on a regular basis (there were some
Wiccans, one Asatru, one druid, a native-influenced
neopagan, and me) but I have lost touch with them
in recent years. But you could find other individuals
and groups near you through http://www.witchvox.org/ .
Madame Monpetit
2013-02-07 23:47:18 UTC
Dear David,

Thank you for those wonderful suggestions.

Sorry to pester you further, but I was just wondering
if you have any suggestions for what do use in terms
of altar decorations for all sabbats?. For example,
while I am relatively new to neo-paganism, I did carve
a Jack O' Lantern for Samhain this past October 31
and also lite a few tea lights separately from the carve
Pumpkin in honor of some recently departed dear souls
who have passed. I also partook in some more secular
Halloween traditions afterwards such as watching scary
movies with friends and shelling out candy to trick or
treaters in my apartment building!. I also put a multi-colored
light Yule Wreath up on the wall for Yule this past December
21 and watched the sun sinking over the horizon on this
shortest day of the year. I already had my secular Christmas
tree up in my living room, so the Yule Wreath was put in a
different room and just for 24 hours. I thought of the changing
seasons and the power of the Winter Solstice.

What would I put on an altar, or more specifically, what item(s)
would you suggest that I focus upon to mark Imbolc,Ostara,
Beltane, Midsummer, Lughnasadh and Mabon?. A Pumpkin
seems appropriate for Samhain and a Wreath for Yule. I was
thinking of trying to obtain a candelabrum which depicts
the triple Goddess and has holders for three candles for
Imbolc. I saw one for sale on eBay a few years ago, but
I would very much appreciate some suggestions as to
what items/inanimate objects I should make the decorative
focus for the other sabbats?.

Thank you!

Madame Monpetit
David Dalton
2013-02-09 06:08:32 UTC
In article
Post by Madame Monpetit
[...]
I don't have an official altar though on some
shelves in a corner of my old room I did keep
some objects with special significance to me.
But I haven't yet set it up in my new room,
and as I mentioned before, the candles which
were on those shelves are now in front of my
fireplace.

For Imbolc you could have some ewe's milk,
or if that is not obtainable then some
goat's milk or cow's milk.

For Ostara probably an egg.

For Beltane maybe something that you relate
to your lover or someone you hope to be your lover.

For Midsummer maybe something related to the sun.

For Lughnasadh I suggest an ear of corn, or
something else that is harvested around then
in your locale.

For Mabon something that is harvested around
then in your locale.

Again, the more knowledgeable Wiccans are on
alt.religion.wicca.moderated
and soc.religion.paganism, which are two
moderated groups (so you should post individual
posts to each instead of crossposting, and it
will take a while for your posts to show up
due to the moderation delay, but after a while
you earn automatic approval). You might also
want to explore http://www.witchvox.com .